Online shopping can be very useful because it provides the luxury of staying at home instead of going to malls. Whether youâ€™re buying a movie costume or a TV set, online stores are a great means to shop easily. You should be careful though, not all online stores are what they appear to be. Some can potentially leave you at a disadvantage and some might even steal from you. Here are some safety tips when purchasing items online:
- Trust your gut. If you feel like your safety is at risk, then you should leave the website immediately. Be vigilant with the content on a website. Some websites are not secure. At the first sign of error, itâ€™s best if you leave the site immediately.
- Make sure you are at the right website. You should always check what website you are on. There are some websites who copy other websites for malicious intent. Make sure that the site youâ€™re on isnâ€™t a fake one.
- Check the security of a site. Always make sure that the website youâ€™re currently on is integrated with a security feature as evidenced by a security seal. Websites with security seals are proven safe, secured and verified. Secured websites protect you from identity theft, credit card fraud and many more. Use websites with https:// rather than http://.
- Avoid using public computers. Public computers are a big no because they are a threat to your security. You might leave important details on the computer and the next person who will use the computer might find it and use it to his/her advantage. Delete your history and log out all accounts to make it inaccessible to strangers.
- Pay using a credit card or an online payment service. The use of credit cards is better than debit cards because there are laws that protect you. Debit cards make it difficult for you to retrieve your money while credit cards offer reimbursement. You can also register to an online payment service like Paypal. That way, you wouldnâ€™t have to share bank detail with the online retailer.
- Strong connection and password. Make sure that you are using a strong and secure connection and password to prevent hackers from getting access to your accounts.